ARGH ! This has ALWAYS been a pet peeve of mine. Before these jheri curl lookin satin bonnets,you saw the silk scarf covering up a doobie or flat wrap. Or those velcro net wrap headbands.
Look. I am all for convenience. A lot of us have busy lives… You gotta take care of your kids. Maybe you work out. Maybe you work in a hot kitchen all day. For most black women,our hair is a very important part of our lives also. Some wanna keep a blow out “fresh” . Some are just hiding a mess because we “can’t get it done right now.” I have been in the hair game for about 17 yrs now and I hear it all lol ! But MY CLIENTS know better ! I better not catch you in these streets lookin crazy lol !
Here are five ways to avoid covering your head in a rag in public:
- Keep it clean. If you can at least find the time to keep your hair shampooed and fresh. It can easily be put in a neat puff or ponytail.
- Keep a comb,pick,some hair ties,and hair moisturizer handy. In your glove compartment,purse,gym locker,etc. Throw in your imagination and you can easily throw together a quick 5-10 look. Hey it will beat looking like a lunch lady.
- Wear a transparent net over a ponytail or bun,if you work in food service. In the gym,wear a head band and put your hair in a ponytail/bun.
- Wear a cute hat or head wrap.
- Change up your hairstyle. Some hair styles are too high maintenance and expensive to keep up. This is another major reason why a lot of woman keep their hair covered. If you have a lot on your plate,and can’t keep up the maintenance of a style,you should opt for something else. Braids,wigs,getting a low cut are all lower maintenance styles.